Sunday 10 January 2010

Indian Rope Trick



G & M
I am currently making the most of the big freeze in Fort William, riding Ben Nevis.
I tried your Indian rope trick on a T-bar drag lift today, it was quite a steep climb, the rope had a tendency to pull off centre, which I had to correct with arm muscle power the whole way, my arms were shaking after just one run. Is there any chance of a quick picture of how you would rig it?
Also the bike "wheelied" must have looked cool but tested the nerves and didn't inspire confidence.

How do you use POMA button type drag lifts?

The skibikes.tk method home made foot skis worked a treat, I couldn't feel any difference from the Brenters I used last year and they have proper quick release bindings.

Mark Kinnon.

==============================================================================


Hi Mark,

You do not state which skibike you are riding, and we do not actually have a close-up photo of how we attach the rope but we will rectify that in a few weeks time in Hinterglemm, but I will try and talk you through it.

First attach the rope to the centre column of the handle bars as shown in the enclosed sketch, now make the loop and then bring the loose end back to and on the left of the handle bar as shown, wrap the rope around the right hand handle bar about 3 times as shown, grip the loose end of rope to the handle bar grip using just enough pressure to keep it secure but not too much as to make your arm ache.

Keeping the loop to the left when holding the rope with the right hand keeps the front ski of the bike tracking fairly straight, there is no cure for the wheelie effect but you do get used to it after a few runs.

All the above can of course be reversed if you are left handed.

We have never been to a resort that has Poma’s so we cannot advise you how to ride one but we will add your request for information to the News Blog , someone out there may well have the answer you are looking for.

Glad to hear the foot skis are a success, let us have a photo and we will add it to the News Blog.

Happy biking Gail & Mervyn.
=========================================================================

G & M,

Thanks for the pic that is so much easier now.

I worked on Pomas today....
Initially I tried sitting on it and riding the bike up, a disaster instant face plant!
So I tried 5 runs on the Poma, just on foot skis alone, skiing back down a nursery slope; quite fun, I can see why snowblading took off, instant parallel turns!
Having remastered the joy of Poma, I then tried it with the bike at my side.
Your left hand holds the point where stem and handle bar meet, on my bike this lifts the front ski off the ground just high enough to rest on your left ski boot.
Your right hand grabs the Poma and puts it between your legs as per normal.
The bike follows you like a faithful border collie on the ascent and when you disengage the Poma you briefly ski alongside the bike, just as you would coming off a chairlift, before remounting.

I will see if this technique will work on the T bar too. I am right handed , but the orientation of bike and Poma where defined by the location of the piste, which was to the left, in a situation I could have thrown the bike to the left and jumped off.
I have left Fort William, where there have been some fantastic conditions, clear days, thin and hard packed snow but when you find the pockets of wind blown powder it is unmitigated joy.

I am currently in Aviemore, which is knee deep in the stuff and will see what joys tomorrow brings.

Lastly, the bike is a Marin East Peak suspension mountain bike with Winter-X Bike adapters and cut down vintage 1980's Fischer non-carving skis.
It tends to skid more than the Brenter I was taught on and due to the skis fitted, won't run backwards. I haven't had the courage to try a 180 degree turn yet and imagine a full 360 would dig in and throw you off.
It feels quite stable and rides the bumps extremely well, it is very light, but the saddle could do with being longer as you can slip off it quite easily once you get some speed up.

Bike pic attached for reference. Action shots (apparently) have been taken of me on the slopes, I will see if they are forthcoming.

Thanks again,

MK.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi I ride a Brenter Skibike and when using a POMA lift I stand with the bike between my legs and use the POMA like a normal skier, the bikes handlebars are then caught by legs and this brings the bike up with me. At the top you just release the POMA and ski off as usual.

Asad shah said...

parallel ski turns This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…

areebashaikh said...

best boxing gloves for heavy bag Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post.