Wednesday 12 May 2010

Liz Hunt on Ski Helmets

British men are divided on the issue of ski helmets. For years, a woolly hat, with or without a pompom, sufficed. Even the death of the actress Natasha Richardson, who suffered a brain injury after a minor fall last year, didn't persuade a hard core of enthusiasts to embrace this accessory. Instead, they blamed the growing fashion for protective headgear on the wimpy and interfering diktats of the 'ealth and safety mob.
Will this change now that Vladimir Putin, the most macho of world leaders and a man given to baring his chest at every photo-opportunity, has posed on the slopes in a crash helmet? No doubt the message he intended to convey to the Russian people was that their prime minister skied hard and fast – unlike President Dmitry Medvedev, who was sporting a hat with a dinky tassel.
By Liz Hunt.
Reporter for Telegraph.co.uk

3 comments:

ski helmets said...

My son took up skiing last year. The first thing I said to him was do please get yourself a helmet and good gloves since being a violinist his hands are nearly as important as his head. I helped him with the cost no insignificant element for a uni. student but our investment was repaid a thousand fold when only the third or fourth time out with the new helmet another skier ploughed into him and he cracked his head a real wallop on hard packed snow. He was mildly concussed but nothing worse thank goodness.

Randy from SkiBikeFun.com said...

I started wearing helmets on the slopes years ago. Not because of my own lack of skills but protecting myself from out of control skiers/boarders. I also realized as a father and husband, those folks need me around for them! Nothing macho about not being there to take care of your family.

Skibikers on the Piste said...

I have to admit that both Gail & I have received headaches from skiers who have decided to turn around while walking down the main street with their skis on their shoulder.