Tuesday 15 November 2011

Romuald Bonvin.


Hello Romuald,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the incorrect details of your “World Skibike Speed Record” published in our website, your record details have now been corrected.
May we request some back ground info, and ask a few questions?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you so much! OK.

As a speed skier with my skibob, I built the Mont Fort project in Verbier with my friend Philippe May (speed skier) in 2004.
http://www.xspeedski.net/2007/Media/LeSkiDeVitesse.pdf

I was the first on this slope for testing .... and organised it until the 2007 world championships, but I prefer to run in Les Arcs, because it is faster than Verbier.
Now I'm building a new skibob, and will be going only to Les Arcs for my high speed runs.

This is my last skibob, it was tested in the wind tunnel to 293 km/h! but not in the world record tests in Les Arcs.
http://vie-a-crans-montana.ch/data/pdf/47/23.pdf

http://www.ski-bike.org/speedbiker.html

My home ski resort is Crans-Montana (I live there), not too fast but quiet for training!

Hope to see you one day in Crans for a skibob day?  (slow ...)

Best regards.

Romuald.



Verbier Mont Fort
Altitude de départ : 3330 m
Altitude d'arrivée : 2900 m
Dénivelé : 430 m
Longueur effective : 880 m
Record officiel : 210.50 km/h (S. Origone, 2006)

Le 14.11.2011 15:32, Skibikers.co.uk a écrit :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Q) When did you first start skibiking and why?
(A) When I first saw my uncle in the skibob world championship when I was very young, 5 years old!
It has taken me 35 years of training to go at this speed!


(Q) What make/model of skibike do you ride?
(A) I only ride Flachsman from Zurich!

(Q) Do you still skibike?

(A) Yes I do, faster and faster ... Ready for next year with my new skibob. I have taken a break from competition since 2007, and I have concentrated on training and more training until today!

(Q) What is your favourite ski resort?
(A) Crans-Montana and Les Arcs!

 Thank you for your time Romuald, it’s much appreciated.

Ski fast.
Gail & Mervyn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Report from Romuald:

• World record at the speed skiing championship in Les Arcs, France

I’m an avid skibob racer. Speed skiing is the fastest non-motorized sport on earth. A speed skier can go from zero to 200 km/h in less than 6 seconds. The greatest challenge in this sport was to overcome the fears and manage the acceleration in 5.6 seconds.
~~~Weather conditions were ideal – three beautiful days. The entire ‘Pro-racer’ speed ski world was present to do its best, at the fastest race of the season. The track was not exactly in top condition though; the snow was rather wet, icy and extremely abrasive, but I was ready to perform my best for the final World Cup race of the season.
~~~I had improved my skiing throughout the past few months – on the slope and also during my 280 km/h test in the wind tunnel at the University of Geneva. I need a test like this every year to be sure that all my physical resources can be used at very high speeds and that my mental capabilities can handle these extreme conditions.
~~~At this final race in Les Arcs, I increased the speed even though the start was not on the same altitude as last year. I decided it would be best to start from 150 meters below the top of this 1800 m long track with a maximum incline of 92 percent! Furthermore, I decided to do only two runs – one as a test run and one for my target – the world record.
~~~Despite my fears, I skied faster and made the cut to be the first man to ever ski more than the mythical 200 km/h with a skibob. I truly had the best run of my life. It felt so incredible to have achieved my fastest speed ever. The compression at the bottom of the track made me feel the force of gravity. I was just able to maintain control after the finish line to break the speed. This was the most difficult task considering the force that the speed generates – approximately 20’000 kg.
~~~I am really happy with my success and am looking forward to more high-speed competitions in Portillo (Chile) and in Verbier in April 2004, where the new track is the fastest in the world with a speed estimate of 265 km/h. There, if conditions allow, I will start from the very top of the Montfort mountain during the final of the World Cup 2004.
~~~Well the season has come to an end. I accomplished more than I ever could have imagined. In addition of being ranked number one in the world championship, I achieved a new world record of 201.790 km/h. This result confirmed the good shape I was in this season, and even more, was evidence that the gap to the ‘speed skier’ has been closed. Next year, with a new skibob and the latest ski technologies, my target will be to ‘run’ or should I say ‘fly’ to the limit of the most extreme possible speed. Risk gives life lots of boost... •

Romuald Bonvin
SunFlash 04/03

http://vie-a-crans-montana.ch/data/pdf/47/23.pdf

No comments: